Easy Chicken Sausage Tortellini Soup is loaded with Italian chicken sausage, cheese tortellini and spinach in a light tomato cream broth. This quick and easy dinner takes just 20 minutes to make and is picky-eater approved!
If you're looking for a quick and easy soup recipe that you can make with items from your pantry and fridge, this easy chicken sausage tortellini soup recipe is for you! It uses just a few ingredients, and it doesn't require a lot of prep work, so it's perfect for busy days when you need dinner on the table fast!
You probably all know how much I love my Instant Pot, right? But you guys, this tortellini soup is one of those recipes that's even faster to make on the stove. You could definitely make this soup in a pressure cooker, but you really don't need to, and you're still only using one pot to cook dinner.
Besides, the Hubs got me a gorgeous little red Dutch oven for Christmas, and I feel like I've been neglecting it in favor of the Instant Pot. So the other day, I used the Dutch oven to make my family's favorite One Pot Creamy Chicken Sausage Tortellini for dinner. And, it occurred to me that I could easily convert the pasta recipe to a delicious soup recipe, with just a few changes.
The whole idea behind the pasta and this easy soup is to get dinner on the table fast, using pantry items and a few things from the fridge. And friends, there are times when you have time to make a gourmet meal completely from scratch, and there are those days when you gotta do what you to feed your family a decent meal, right?!
This tortellini soup starts out with smoked Italian chicken sausage, which is already cooked, so you just need to brown it for better texture and flavor. I use Aidells, but you can use any brand. And since the sausage is already seasoned, you don't need to add a bunch of spices for flavor.
After you brown the sausage, you just add the remaining ingredients and heat everything up. The tortellini takes just 4 minutes to cook, so it goes in near the end. The spinach is last, since it cooks super fast.
The broth is on the lighter side, since that's what we prefer. If you want a creamier soup, you can add more heavy cream. And if you want more tomato flavor, you can add more sauce or even use crushed tomatoes, instead. There really are no rules for this quick and easy tortellini soup!
Looking for more quick and easy soup recipes?
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Leftover Pork Roast Soup
- Andouille Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Ground Beef Noodle Soup
How to Make Easy Chicken Sausage Tortellini Soup
Easy Chicken Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound smoked Italian chicken sausage, sliced thin
- 2 32-ounce cartons low sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 9-ounce package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, torn
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add the olive oil to a dutch oven or heavy pot, and brown the sausage in olive oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes
- Add the chicken broth, marinara sauce and Italian seasoning, stir, turn heat to high, cover and bring to a rolling boil
- Reduce heat to medium high, add sun dried tomatoes, heavy cream and tortellini, and cook for about 4 minutes or according to package directions
- Stir in spinach, top with shredded Parmesan cheese, and serve immediately
My family absolutely loved this easy chicken sausage tortellini soup! The kids even went back for seconds! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Shared at the Weekend Potluck