Easy Homemade Queso Dip is made with real cheese and makes a delicious appetizer for game days, parties or snacking anytime!
Who's ready for some football? I definitely am. And this cheesy easy homemade queso dip is absolutely perfect for game day. After all, you can't enjoy football without some amazing game day food, right?! And this cheesy chip dip definitely deserves a place at your appetizer table.
Of course, we all know that queso dip isn't just for game day. I like to serve it at parties, Cinco de Mayo, holidays and whenever the munchies strike. But when we watch football, I usually serve easy appetizers for dinner, and that's when we eat queso the most.
Not only is this recipe for homemade queso super easy, but it's also made with real cheese and other all-natural ingredients. So, no Velveeta here, folks. But, no judging, either. The Hubs grew up on the stuff, and he loves it, but me, not so much! And even if you do like Velveeta, I think you'll love this queso dip made with real cheese even better -- the Hubs does!
I found the base recipe in a Food Network Magazine from last spring, and I saved it for fall. The great thing about this base recipe is that you can easily customize it to make it your own, which is what I did. And, you can make it a little different each time. This dip is pretty much a blend of pepper jack, cheddar cheese, cream cheese and heavy cream. I only added a few other ingredients.
The next time I made it, I added ground beef at the end, so stay tuned for a loaded queso dip soon!
If you want to add meaty mix-ins to your queso dip, try these:
- Cooked seasoned ground beef
- Cooked breakfast sausage
- Cooked chorizo
- Cooked, diced or shredded chicken
You can also add extra tomatoes, chopped peppers, or really just about anything. Or, you can just leave it alone and enjoy the cheesy goodness just like it is! There really are no rules here.
This dip is smooth and just thick enough for dipping. If you want a thicker cheese sauce, I'd add a little more cheese.
If you're really impatient, you can dig right in directly out of the skillet. Or, you can pour the sauce into a small slow cooker, and keep it warm. So this is definitely a good recipe for tailgating!
How to Make Easy Homemade Queso Dip
Easy Homemade Queso Dip
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- In a large cast iron skillet or heavy pan, melt the butter over medium heat
- Saute the onions, jalapeno peppers and garlic until slightly soft
- Stir in the the salt, cumin and paprika
- Whisk in the heavy cream, and heat until it starts to bubble
- Remove from heat, and stir in the cream cheese until melted
- Gradually add the shredded cheese, and whisk until cheese is melted
- Return skillet to heat, and cook on medium until warm
- Serve immediately, or pour into slow cooker and keep warm until ready to serve
I hope you enjoy this easy homemade queso dip as much we do!
Sharing at Weekend Potluck