Easy Instant Pot Queso Dip is made with cream cheese, shredded cheese and without Velveeta. A simple nacho cheese dip recipe for parties or game day.
I have a simple homemade queso dip recipe that my family absolutely loves, but since I'm converting a lot of my recipes to Instant Pot recipes, I decided to make this Mexican cheese dip in the pressure cooker. Easy Instant Pot queso dip with no Velveeta makes a delicious appetizer for parties or game day!
You're probably wondering why anyone would make dip in an Instant Pot. Well, it's faster than making dip in a slow cooker, and you can leave the dip on the keep warm setting and and munch away! Plus, it's perfect if you don't have a stove or if you're having a potluck!
To be clear, you're not pressure cooking the cheese dip. You're just using the saute setting to cook it.
How do you make easy queso dip?
Start by cooking some chopped onions and jalapeno peppers in butter on the saute setting. You want to cook them just until slightly soft.
Next, throw in your seasonings, and stir.
Whisk in the heavy cream, and let it heat up until it starts to bubble. You'll want to keep stirring or whisking the mixture so that it doesn't burn.
Hit cancel to turn the pot off. Then, stir in the cream cheese until it melts. Next, gradually add the shredded cheese, and stir or whisk until the cheese is melted and smooth. You can use the saute setting again to quickly warm the cheese up before switching to the keep warm setting.
I added in some canned diced tomatoes and chiles -- Rotel -- for extra flavor. It's optional -- you can add in your favorite mix-ins here.
The queso dip might seem thin at first, but it thickens up as it stands. You can also add more cheese if you want the dip to be even thicker. Serve it with your favorite tortilla chips or veggies, and you're good to go!
What kind of cheese is used to make queso dip?
This queso dip is made with a combination of cheddar and Monterey jack cheese. I've also used pepper jack to make it spicier. Sometimes I'll make white queso dip, queso blanco, with Monterey jack and mozzarella. For authentic Mexican queso, this article has more info on using authentic Mexican cheese.
Is queso dip keto friendly?
This Instant Pot queso dip is made with cream cheese and heavy cream -- no Velveeta or milk -- so it is low carb and keto friendly.
More Instant Pot dip recipes
Instant Pot Queso Dip Recipe
Instant Pot Queso Dip
- 4 tablespoons butter, sliced
- ½ cup yellow onion, finely chopped ( ½ of a medium onion)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- Rotel (optional) or tomatoes or jalapeno slices
- Press SAUTE on the Instant Pot, let it heat up, and add the butter.
- When butter begins to melt, add the onions and chopped jalapeno, and cook until soft, stirring frequently
- Stir in the the sea salt, garlic powder, cumin and smoked paprika
- Add the heavy cream, and heat until it begins to bubble and thicken up, whisking or stirring frequently
- Hit CANCEl, then gradually add the cream cheese, stirring continuously until it's melted
- Gradually add the shredded cheddar and monterey jack, about 1 cup at a time, stirring or whisking well after each cup is added
- Press SAUTE, and cook until cheese is fully melted, stirring continuously -- about 1 minute. Add the Rotel, or other mix-ins, if using
- Press CANCEL, then press KEEP WARM. Queso will thicken as it sits. Or, transfer to serving bowl and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this cheesy, easy Instant Pot queso dip as much as we do!