Instant Pot Mexican Beef and Rice is an easy cheesy dinner made in one pot with ground beef, rice, black beans, salsa and cheese. A 30 minute meal!
You can never have too many easy Instant Pot recipes in your weekly dinner rotation. And this cheesy ground beef and rice casserole is so easy that it practically cooks by itself!
This is the kind of easy recipe that you can make on busy weeknights or whenever you don't have much time or energy to cook. I have lots of those days!
A Budget Friendly Ground Beef Recipe
What I love about this pressure cooker Mexican beef and rice recipe is it makes a lot of food, and it's also very budget friendly. So, it's perfect for meal prep.
Save the leftovers for another day, or use the beef and rice as filling for burritos, burrito bowls or baked burritos. You can freeze the burritos for later, and they reheat easily, especially if you use your Instant Pot air fryer!
How to Make Mexican Ground Beef and Rice in the Instant Pot
So instead of cooking the meat and everything separately, it's all done together -- a HUGE timesaver!
First, saute the ground beef, season it, and add your black beans. I use my own seasoning blend here, but you can definitely use your favorite taco seasoning packet if you want.
Add a cup of rinsed jasmine rice, then, add a cup of beef broth or water, if you prefer. Make sure the rice is covered with liquid.
I add my favorite chunky tomato salsa over the rice. It adds a bit of a kick, but you can use a can of diced tomatoes for milder flavor.
Next, pressure cook the beef and rice for 4 minutes, and allow a 10 minute release. This is basically the same full-proof method for cooking white rice in the Instant Pot -- works every time!
Stir in some shredded cheese, and watch it get all melty and ooey gooey. This taco rice is definitely comfort food, friends!
Serve beef and rice in bowls, and add your favorite taco toppings. Or, use it as a filling for burritos.
Instant Pot Mexican Beef and Rice Recipe
Instant Pot Mexican Beef and Rice
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked rinsed jasmine rice
- 1 cup beef broth or water
- 1 16-ounce chunky tomato salsa or 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend or Colby jack
- Hit SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the ground beef, dried onions, sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, pepper, chili powder. Break meat up with spatula, and cook until no longer pink. Make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot. If it is, use water or broth to deglaze pot
- Stir in the black beans, then hit CANCEL
- Pour the jasmine rice over the beans, then add the beef broth, and pat down to make sure rice is covered
- Add the salsa (do not stir), then place the lid on the pot, and make sure valve is on Sealing position
- Hit PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes. Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then cook.
- When pot beeps, allow a 10 minute natural release, then quick release remaining pressure
- Carefully remove lid, then stir together. Stir in cheese, and add more if you want. Serve and enjoy!