This easy recipe for Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Italian sausage in a cheesy tomato sauce makes a delicious low carb dinner your family will love!
If you’re looking for easy zucchini recipes, try these super easy zucchini boats. They’re light but definitely satisfying and perfect for a quick dinner.
Whenever we have zucchini to use up, I usually make homemade zucchini bread or zucchini muffins or Baked Chicken and Zucchini. Sometimes, I’ll chop some up and toss it into pasta sauce — a sneaky way to get the kids to eat more veggies!
But these zucchini boats are one of my favorite summer dinners. They’re also lower in carbs and keto friendly!
How to Make Zucchini Boats with Italian Sausage
This recipe makes 6 zucchini boats, and you’ll have leftover sausage. You can easily use more zucchini or just save the leftover meat for another day or another recipe.
All you do is cook the sausage until no longer pink. While it’s cooking, wash the zucchini, and cut off the stem end.
Next, cut it in half, lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the middle. Just make sure you don’t go all the way to the bottom.
Place the zucchini on a sheet pan. I usually line mine with foil to make clean-up easier, but you don’t have to do this. You can also use a casserole dish if you prefer.
Add your marinara sauce and a little Parmesan cheese to the sausage. Then, stir in the zucchini pulp, and cook until heated through.
Spoon the sausage mixture into the hollowed-out middles. A small teaspoon works great here!
Now, pop the sheet pan into a preheated oven. And bake the boats!
Bake Zucchini until Fork Tender
Bake the zucchini for about 15 to 20 minute. It should be fork tender and the sausage stuffing should be bubbling.
You can top the boats with some shredded mozzarella cheese before serving. So good!
What to Serve on the Side
Personally I’m a big fan of keeping the dinner light and simple. This way, there’s plenty of room for dessert!
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large zucchini washed, sliced in half lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet, add onions, and cook until slightly soft.
- Add Italian sausage, cook until no longer pink, and drain grease if necessary.
- Season with sea salt, garlic and pepper, then stir in marinara sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Scoop out flesh from zucchini, add to meat mixture, and cook until heated through
- Place zucchini on foil lined baking sheet, and spoon sausage into hollowed out zucchini
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until zucchini is fork tender and filling is bubbling
- Top with mozzarella cheese, if desired, allow to melt, and serve immediately
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!