Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin are cheesy scalloped potatoes with a crisp topping that you make entirely in the pressure cooker. An easy holiday side dish!
Some of my favorite Instant Pot recipes are side dishes, like these cheesy scalloped potatoes. What's different about this au gratin potato recipe is it's made completely in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp, from start to finish, including broiling at the end!
I usually only make au gratin potatoes as a holiday side dish or in a casserole with leftover holiday ham. These cheesy potatoes take over an hour to cook in the oven only about 25 minutes in the pressure cooker!
So, if you're short on time or oven space, Instant Pot au gratin potatoes are for you! You can also make air fryer potatoes au gratin with an air fryer oven. Can you tell I'm kind of obsessed with kitchen gadgets lately?
Au Gratin Potatoes vs Scalloped
So, what's the difference between scalloped potatoes and au gratin potatoes? In a nutshell, au gratin potatoes are made with cheese and sometimes topped with breadcrumbs for extra crunch. Scalloped potatoes traditionally are made without cheese.
Many people just say cheesy scalloped potatoes. And honestly, that's fine!
How to Make Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes in the Instant Pot
This quick au gratin potatoes recipe uses the pot-in-pot cooking method for the pressure cooker. You'll need a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot, and you'll need to use the trivet.
First, cut your potatoes super thin. A mandoline slicer works best for this, but if you don't have one, cut them as thin as possible.
Next, butter your baking dish well, and layer the sliced potatoes so that they overlap just slightly. Then, season each layer as you go.
What Cheese is Best for Au Gratin Potatoes
I use a mix of cheddar for flavor and Colby Jack for creaminess. You can use Gruyere, Monterey Jack or even shredded Parmesan on top.
Pour a little cream over each potato layer, and add a thin layer of shredded cheese over the cream. You should get about 5 layers of potatoes.
On the 5th layer, add the remaining cheese, or more cheese if you want, and pour the remaining cream on top. Now, set your pan on the trivet, and pressure cook your potatoes.
After pressure cooking, the potatoes should be fork tender. If they're not, you can cook them for another 5 minutes or until they're done.
Now, change your lid, and place the air fryer lid on the Instant Pot. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and brown. Go even longer or add breadcrumbs for a crispier crust.
Let the potatoes rest for about 5 minutes or so. The sauce will thicken even more, and you'll have perfect au gratin potatoes!
What if I Don't Have a Duo Crisp or Crisp Lid?
No problem! Just transfer the potatoes to the oven, and broil them for about 5 minutes or until the top layer is crispy.
More Instant Pot Potato Recipes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Instant Pot Potatoes
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes sliced ⅛ inch to ¼ inch thick
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded cheese I used a mix of cheddar and Colby Jack. Use more cheese on top if you want
- Use a mandoline to slice potatoes into ⅛ to ¼-inch slices
- Grease a round 8-inch pan, and begin layering potatoes so that only the ends are overlapping slightly
- Season each layer of potatoes with a sprinkle of salt, garlic powder and pepper, then pour a tablespoon of cream over potatoes, and top with a thin layer of cheese
- Repeat process until you have 5 layers of potatoes, then top with remaining spices, cheese and cream
- Pour 1.5 cups of water into the inner pot of the Duo Crisp, place the trivet into the pot, and place the pan on top of the trivet
- Cover with pressure cooker lid, set time to 25 minutes, hit PRESSURE COOK, then START
- After pressure cooking, do a quick release, remove lid, and check to see that potatoes are fork tender
- Hit CANCEL, place air fryer lid on the Instant Pot, and hit BROIL for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, check that top is done to your liking. You can easily add more time if needed.
- Carefully remove pan from pressure cooker, and allow potatoes to rest for 5 minutes before serving
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.