Slow Cooker Kielbasa Bites with BBQ sauce and brown sugar is an easy kielbasa recipe perfect for an easy appetizer or game day meal. A family favorite!
This delicious slow cooker kielbasa recipe is one of my favorite appetizer recipes and of the easiest appetizers ever! It's basically kielbasa slices simmered in a sweet and tangy bbq sauce in the crockpot.
Set it and forget it -- how easy is that?!
This easy slow cooker recipe is a take on the popular crock-pot little smokies recipe from back in the day. Growing up, these little sausages were the perfect appetizer and were served at just about every party!
I like to use regular kielbasa for this recipe because I always have some in the fridge or freezer. It's always been one of my favorite comfort foods. When you grow up in a Polish family, this is what you do!
And, you can easily turn this barbecue smoked sausage recipe into an easy main dish!
Crockpot Kielbasa Bites Ingredients
Only a few simple ingredients are needed for this easy recipe. You can find them in the grocery store if you don't have these pantry staples at home.
- Smoked Kielbasa -- Smoked sausage, smoked Polish sausage and Polska kielbasa are all the same. Just make sure it is precooked, and don't use raw Polish sausage. Use beef, pork or turkey kielbasa sausage.
- BBQ sauce -- I use plain Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, but any brand will do.
- Brown sugar -- adds sweetness to the sauce. Either dark or light brown sugar will work.
- Dijon mustard -- adds an extra element of flavor. If you don't have this, you can leave it out.
- Dried minced onions -- adds flavor. You can sub onion powder or leave it out.
How to Make Slow Cooker Kielbasa Bites
First, slice the kielbasa sausage into roughly ½ inch pieces. You want them a little thick if you are serving this recipe as an appetizer. It's easier to grab with toothpicks!
I like to spray the bottom of the slow cooker with non stick spray first. Then, place the sliced sausages into the bottom of your slow cooker.
Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
Next, pour the sauce over the kielbasa slices in the slow cooker.
Give it a good stir. Then, place the lid on the slow cooker.
The mixture may seem thick, but kielbasa releases a lot of liquid as it cooks.
Cook the kielbasa for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. Cook time will vary with different sizes and brands of slow cookers.
When the smoked sausage is heated through, you can turn the slow cooker to keep warm until ready to serve.
How to Serve Crockpot BBQ Smoked Sausage
For an appetizer, you can serve the glazed smoked sausages straight out of the slow cooker. Or, place them in a serving bowl with cocktail toothpicks for easy serving.
As a main course, serve the smoked sausage bites over mashed potatoes or rice.
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerate leftover kielbasa bites in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. You can reheat individual portions in the microwave or larger portions in your slow cooker.
They are actually better the next day!
For longer storage, you can freeze kielbasa slices in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months for best flavor. They reheat well.
The flavor of this dish depends on the barbecue sauce you use. If you are using a sweeter sauce, you may not need as much brown sugar. Or, you may need more. I recommend tasting the sauce before adding to the slow cooker.
If you want more heat, add some cayenne pepper, smoked paprika or red pepper flakes.
Cut thicker kielbasa slices for an appetizer and thinner bite-size pieces for a main dish.
More Easy Kielbasa Recipes
Try my sheet pan BBQ smoked sausage recipe or my slow cooker sausage and potatoes with green beans for a complete meal. For an easy dinner recipe your entire family will love, try my grandma's kielbasa and sauerkraut recipe , and even more kielbasa recipes.
Slow Cooker Kielbasa Bites
- 2 pounds kielbasa 2 ropes
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Spray bottom of slow cooker with non stick cooking spray
- Slice kielbasa into ½ inch slices, and place into slow cooker
- In a small bowl, mix the BBQ sauce, brown sugar, mustard and onions well
- Pour sauce mixture over kielbasa, and stir to combine
- Cover and cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low or until heated through
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
My whole family loves this easy crock pot kielbasa recipe. It's a favorite during football season!
If you love this smoked sausage recipe as much as we do, please leave a star rating and/or comment. For more easy recipes, sign up for the weekly newsletter and follow me on social media.