Make perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice every time with this easy recipe for cooking tender, flavorful whole grain rice in your electric pressure cooker.
Several of you wonderful people have asked me for a recipe for cooking brown rice in the Instant Pot. So, here’s the recipe with a video included!
I tested this rice recipe several times using my 6 quart and 8 quart Instant Pots. Perfect rice every time!
How to Cook Perfect Brown Rice in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Making brown rice is basically the same as making white rice. The main difference is the cook time. The rest of the steps remain the same.
Rinse the Rice before Cooking
You want to rinse the rice thoroughly before cooking. Measure the rice, and dump it into a large mesh strainer.
Then, rinse it under cold water for a few minutes. After rinsing, shake the strainer to remove as much water as possible.
Next, add the rice to the inner stainless steel pot. When I make jasmine rice, I always season it, and the same goes for brown rice.
How to Make Brown Rice Taste Better
Add a little sea salt and olive oil to the rice. This adds flavor and the oil also helps keep it from sticking. You can also try a little garlic powder for extra flavor.
We usually mix the sea salt and oil directly into the rice. You can also add it after the water if you forget.
Use 1:1 Ratio of Water to Rice
The perfect water to rice ratio it 1 cup of water for every 1 cup of rice. So, add a cup of water if you’re only making a cup of rice.
I usually make 2 cups of rice, so I use 2 cups of water. If you want to make 3 cups of rice, use 3 cups of water.
I highly recommend using a liquid measuring cup for the liquid and a standard dry measuring cup for the rice. Don’t use the cup that comes with the Instant Pot.
Just pour in the water and add the lid. Now, you’re ready to pressure cook the rice!
Pressure cook the rice for 22 minutes. After it’s done cooking, allow a 10 minute natural release.
Then, do a quick release for the remaining pressure. Open the pot, stir it, and you’re good to go!
The brown rice is perfectly cooked using this method. It’s tender, with just enough bite that it’s not too soft or mushy.
The rice is slightly sticky, which makes it perfect for using as a side dish with your favorite Asian-style recipes or any recipe, really.
May contain affiliate links. See disclosure for more information.
Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cold water
- Measure rice in a dry measuring cup, and rinse rice thoroughly under cold running water in a mesh strainer
- Add rice to Instant Pot, and season with sea salt and olive oil
- Measure out 2 cups of cold water in a liquid measuring cup, and pour over rice
- Place lid on Instant Pot, make sure vent is sealed, and PRESSURE COOK for 22 minutes. When Pot beeps, allow 10 minute release, and quick release remaining pressure. Carefully remove lid, and stir rice, and serve
Rice Cooking Tips
- Use dry measuring cup for rice and liquid measuring cup for water
- Rinse rice before cooking
- Add sea salt or kosher salt and olive oil for flavor and texture
- Remove rice immediately after cooking is complete for easy clean-up
If you like this recipe as much as we do, leave a comment or give me a shout-out on social media! Sign up to receive weekly recipes by email!