Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken cooked a sweet and tangy sauce with pineapple is a quick and easy pressure cooker dinner made in just 30 minutes!
If you’re looking for a super quick and easy chicken dinner your whole family will love, this delicious Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ chicken recipe is for you! I made this easy pineapple chicken several times already this month, and it’s now one of my family’s favorite easy Instant Pot recipes!
I’m always looking for new Instant Pot recipes with chicken since we have chicken for dinner several time a week. Sound familiar?
This Hawaiian style chicken was inspired by my Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ pork chops recipe. People comment that they love the sweet and tangy sauce, so I decided to make the same basic pressure cooker recipe with chicken instead of pork. You guys, this chicken dinner is definitely a winner!
What is Hawaiian BBQ Chicken?
It’s chicken (or pork) cooked in a sweet and savory sauce made with barbecue sauce, pineapple, brown sugar and spices. Some recipes use soy sauce — mine doesn’t, but you can add some for more umami flavor. This isn’t the most authentic Hawaiian chicken recipe, but we love it!
How to Make Hawaiian BBQ Chicken in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into approximately 1-inch cubes. Then, add them to the pressure cooker, along with the seasonings, and cook on saute mode. Cook only until no longer pink — the chicken will finish cooking under pressure.
Next, add pineapple tidbits and juice. Then, add the brown sugar and BBQ sauce over the chicken, but DON’T STIR!
Sorry for the caps, but thick sauces like barbecue may trigger the burn notice if you stir everything together. This way, the sauce goes on top, and the thinner liquid will allow the pot to reach pressure without problems. Say that last part 5 times, friends!
After pressure cooking the chicken, give it a good stir. Then turn on the SAUTE setting, mix a cornstarch slurry using a mix of cornstarch and pineapple juice or water, and stir it into the bubbling sauce. You can skip this for a thinner sauce, but the slurry helps thicken it up and gives it a smooth, velvety texture.
What to serve with Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
We love spooning this Instant Pot chicken over Instant Pot jasmine rice! And the kids like adding more pineapple tidbits or chunks over the chicken. You can also serve it with a side of peas, corn or salad greens.
It’s so simple, but so good! Best of all, this Instant Pot chicken recipe is ready in 30 minutes or less. Perfect for busy days!
More Quick and Easy Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Honey Mustard Curry Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Contains affiliate links. See disclosure page for more information.
Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds chicken breast boneless skinless cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
For the slurry
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice or water
- Hit SAUTE on the Instant Pot, and when it reads Hot, add the olive oil and chicken
- Stir in the sea salt, garlic powder, ginger, minced onions and pepper, and cook until chicken is no longer pink
- Hit CANCEL, then stir in the pineapple juice. Add the pineapple tidbits, BBQ sauce and brown sugar over the chicken, but DO NOT STIR
- Place lid on the pressure cooker, turn vent to Sealing, and hit PRESSURE COOK or Manual for 4 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then begin counting down and cook. When pot beeps, turn vent to venting and do a quick release
- When pin drops, carefully remove lid, and stir. Hit CANCEl, then hit SAUTE again.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and pineapple juice or water, then stir it into the sauce and allow to cook until sauce thickens.
- Hit CANCEL to turn off pot, and serve. Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools
I hope you enjoy this easy Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken as much as we do!