Instant Pot Salsa Chicken is a super easy shredded chicken recipe you can use for tacos, burritos, chimichangas and so much more.
Salsa chicken is one of easiest Instant Pot chicken recipes you can make, and it's definitely the Instant Pot recipe I make the most. Just add chicken breasts, salsa and seasoning to the pressure cooker, and you've got delicious cooked chicken in about 20 minutes!
Seriously, I make this chicken for dinner at least once a week. Actually, it's so easy that my kids usually take over the cooking, and they even have the recipe memorized!
I also make salsa chicken with salsa verde -- This makes killer creamy chicken enchiladas! But, I think the red salsa is perfect when you want a milder flavor that you can use in many different recipes.
How to Make Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Place the chicken breasts into the pressure cooker. Then, season the chicken. I make my own taco seasoning, but you can use your favorite taco seasoning if you want.
Next, pour the salsa over the seasoned chicken breasts. Chicken releases a lot of liquid as it cooks, so you shouldn't need any water for this.
If your brand of salsa is super thick, you can always add a tablespoon of water if you're worried about getting the burn notice. I have never had a problem with this, though.
Pressure cook the chicken, and allow it to release naturally for 10 minutes. After that, you can release the remaining pressure and shred the chicken with an electric mixer -- super easy!
What Can You Make with Salsa Chicken?
- Air Fryer Chimichangas
- Burrito Bowls
- Chicken Wraps
And the list goes on. You can even eat it plain over lettuce!
Pin to save the recipe
More Easy Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot Honey Mustard Curry Chicken
- Instant Pot Honey Lime Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken and Gravy
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Instant Pot Creamy Lemon Chicken
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 1 ½ to 2 pounds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder
- 1 cup red salsa
- Place the chicken in the Instant Pot
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the chicken
- Pour the salsa over the chicken, and place lid on Instant Pot
- Turn vent to sealing position, and hit PRESSURE COOK for 10 minutes
- Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure, then count down and cook for 10 minutes. When pot beeps, allow pressure to release for 10 minutes, then turn vent knob to venting to release remaining pressure
- When pin drops, remove lid. Chicken should be at 165 degrees, according to meat thermometer. Use electric mixer or two forks to shred chicken, and serve or use in your favorite Mexican recipes that call for cooked chicken
I hope you like this easy salsa chicken recipe as much as we do!