Spring Marshmallow Krispie Treats are easy to make with rice cereal, marshmallows and pastel candies. Perfect for a quick snack or dessert!
We're just slightly addicted to Rice Krispies treats here. These are super easy to make, and the kids can help stir the marshmallow mixture, even if they use a step stool to reach the counter!
We usually make plain krispie treats, but adding pastel M & M candies gives them an extra special touch -- perfect for spring! Of course, you can make these for any season just by changing the candy on top. Easy peasy!
You only need 5 ingredients to make these cereal bars:
- Rice Krispies cereal or any crisp rice cereal
- Vanilla extract
- Pastel candies or sprinkles
How to Make Spring Marshmallow Krispie Treats
You can make them on the stove or in the microwave. Personally, I like the microwave method, so that's what I usually do.
First, melt the marshmallows and butter in a large mixing bowl in the microwave. If you use the stove top method, you'll need a large heavy bottomed pot.
Stir the mixture until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth. A silicone spatula works best for this since the mixture won't stick.
Next, stir in the vanilla extract. Then, stir in the Rice Krispies cereal.
Use the spatula to stir the cereal until it's completely coated with the marshmallow mixture.
Finally, spread the cereal mixture evenly into a well greased 9 x 13 pan. You can grease the pan with butter or cooking spray.
Press the candies into the cereal so that they stick. Then, let the treats firm up a little so they're easier to cut.
You can pop the pan into the fridge for about 15 minutes or so to speed up the process, especially if your kitchen is warm. We have a warm kitchen and no patience, so I usually do this so we can enjoy the treats sooner.
I love it when the bars are super fresh and gooey. It's fun to pull them apart and watch them stretch into sticky marshmallow strings!
How to Store Them
Keep the marshmallow krispie treats covered in the pan or in a container. They stay nice and soft for about 4 days on your kitchen counter.
Now, if your kitchen is warm like mine, you might want to leave them in the fridge and let them come to room temperature before serving. I find this method makes it harder for certain young people to help themselves!
Spring Marshmallow Krispie Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispies or any crisp rice cereal
- 10 oz bag of your favorite brand of mini marshmallows
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pastel M & M's or other candies for decoration
- In a large pan, melt the butter and mini marshmallows together over low heat, stirring frequently. Or, melt marshmallows and butter in large microwaveable mixing bowl in microwave.
- When marshmallows are melted, stir in the vanilla extract, and remove from heat. Stir in the cereal, one cup at a time, and mix well.
- When the cereal is fully mixed with the marshmallows, spoon into a buttered 13x9-inch baking pan.
- When the mixture is slightly cool, press in the candies over the top of the cereal. Allow to set on counter or in refrigerator.
Nutrition information is estimated. Please do your own calculation to fit special diets.
More Recipes with Marshmallows and Cereal
- Apple Jacks Marshmallow Bars
- Chocolate peanut butter Cheerios bars
- Peanut butter honey oat cereal bars
- No bake chocolate peanut butter bars
Recipe first published in 2015 and last updated in 2021