This Steak Quesadilla Recipe made with leftover steak, melted cheese, onions and peppers on a crispy tortilla is quick, easy and delicious! Skip takeout and save money when you make quesadillas at home for a simple lunch or dinner!
My family loves having quesadillas for a quick lunch or dinner. Usually, I'll make chicken, BBQ chicken, Caprese chicken or chicken and black bean quesadillas. Sometimes, I use sausage or ham. And sometimes, I make beef quesadillas with leftover steak.
We almost always have some steak leftover after grilling. On its own, It's not enough for a whole meal. But when you add plenty of cheese and serve it on crispy tortillas, it is! So, this is a budget friendly way to stretch out leftover steak to feed the whole family.
The ingredients for this leftover steak quesadilla recipe are simple:
- Cooked steak -- We prefer New York or ribeye. You need about a cup
- Cheese -- I prefer Mexican Blend for these, but cheddar, colby or Monterey Jack work well, too.
- Onion -- Adds flavor
- Bell pepper -- adds flavor, color and crunch
- Jalapeño pepper -- optional
- Taco seasoning -- I use homemade taco seasoning
How to Make Steak Quesadillas
First, cut the steak into bite-sized pieces. Then, chop your onion, pepper and jalapeño pepper, if using. Time saving tip -- Keep chopped onions in the freezer for easy prep!
Next, sauté the onion, jalapeño pepper and bell pepper until slightly soft. Then, add the steak and taco seasoning, and cook until the steak is just heated through.
Set the meat mixture aside. Then, heat a griddle or skillet with a little bit of oil. Place a tortilla on the skillet for a few seconds. Then, flip over. This helps the cheese melt faster.
Add about a half cup of cheese to half of the tortilla. Spoon about a third of the meat mixture over the cheese. Then, top with a little more cheese.
Next, carefully fold one side of the tortilla over so that the ends meet. Gently press down with a spatula to help the cheese melt. Flip the folded tortilla over to crisp up the other side.
When both sides of the quesadilla are brown and crisp and the cheese is melted, remove it to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat the process twice more. You should have enough for 3 quesadillas.
Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice the quesadillas. You can cut them into thirds or fourths.
Steak Quesadilla Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or olive
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 cup cooked steak cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 3 cups shredded cheese Mexican blend
- 3 large tortillas burrito size
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet on medium heat, and sauté peppers and onion until just soft. Add steak and taco seasoning, and heat until warm. Set aside
- Heat tortilla in a skillet or griddle on 1 side until just warm. Flip over, and add some of the cheese, and spoon about ⅓ of the meat mixture on half of the tortilla. Add more cheese over the chicken
- Fold the tortilla over the meat mixture, and press down with spatula to flatten. Flip over if needed, and heat until tortilla is golden brown and crisp on both sides. Remove to a plate and cut. Repeat 2 more times with remaining ingredients